Skip to main content

The Jar of Guilt - paul vattikuti

" Are you angry with me dad?",Muriel asked in a tensed tone.
"Yes,I am!", replied her dad.


It was Sunday and the whole family was at home spending time with each other. Muriel ran through the corridors of her house chasing her younger brother. She stepped inside her dad's room. She saw her brother's reflection in the mirror and slowly leaned towards the bed to grasp him. She grasped him by his collar and yelled" I got you,yeah!!!" ,and began to swing her  hands in air in the excitement. Just then the joyous moment broke into silence with a creeky noise. She assumed she got a hand to something and it broke. She leaned down and she was appalled at what she had done. It was his father's favourite glass photo frame which was well showcased on the table few seconds ago and now was shattered into pieces! Tears started obscuring her view. Immediately she noticed a Jar of clay and decided to put the broken frame inside the glass. She took that jar Inside her room and  gave the door a shove.
She kept starring the jar and started phrasing sentences in her mind about what excuse she would give to her dad." Definitely he's gona be angry with me ", she said. Just then she realized something was hurting her fingers. It was a cut. She got hurt while picking up the glass pieces . She bandaged her wound but still it would pain. As the family clustered the dinning table at night ,Muriel refrained from eating her meal. Her dad insisted but she did not make any eye contact and rushed inside her room. Guilt was all over her soul!
The next day she went to school without kissing her dad. Now this was unusual as she always kisses her dad before leaving to school. But how  could she. She started thinking that she isn't worthy of his love! Days passed by and her dad noticed unusual behaviour in Muriel. All the warm hugs, good night kisses had just become memories. Muriel's smile was freezed in the past. As Sunday approached,Muriel started worrying that if her dad sees the jar in which his favourite frame was dumped he would be angry on her. The fact that his dad was at home added to her stress. She took the jar where ever she went so that she would keep her dad away from the guilty Fact. Just then as she was in her room sitting and holding the jar, her dad entered. His abrupt entry surprised Muriel's attention and she dropped the jar from her hand. The jar broke into pieces and the broken frame was clearly visible. Her dad immediately took hold of Muriel and asked if she was hurt or not. He saw the old dressing on her fingers. Without enquiring anything he immediately changed her dressing. Muriel narrated the whole story about the broken frame. Her dad did not reply anything.
" Are you angry with me dad?",Muriel asked in a tensed tone.
"Yes,I am!", replied  her dad.
"am sorry dad . I broke your favourite frame ",Muriel uttered.
Her dad said" Am not angry on the fact that you broke my favourite frame , but I am angry on the fact that you hid the truth . You started carrying the guilt inside this jar which made it heavier for  you and this was taking you away from me"
Muriel's father saw the broken pieces and took out the photo which was stuck between some pieces of the glass. He said," do you know why this frame was my favourite? Why I liked it so much? It is because of this photo".
He gave her the photo and Muriel broke into tears! Now the tears did not obscure her view as she started crying and not accumulating her tears in her eyes. " It is you and me in the photo , that's what made it special, the frame was just a casing. It is this photo that I value" her dad said. Muriel did not notice the photo in the frame as guilt had subdued her soul and mind. She gave a warm tight hug to her dad and she felt like heaven when THE HANDS WHICH CARED SO MUCH FOR HER WRAPPED HER BODY.
what do we learn from this?
Many times we disobey God ! We do things we aren't supposed to do . And then we try to hide it from God. We fill the guilt, the shame inside a jar ( as adam and eve hid their nakedness from god behind the trees) and what happens! We feel we are not worthy of his love. And then we start going far from him. But in the book of romans it is written that "everyone has fallen short of the glory" everyone has sinned. So stop feeling guilty .Tell me one thing. Were you worthy enough when jesus died for you on the cross? Then how can you say that you are worthy now! Confess your sins to God and break the Jar of guilt in which you have hidden the sins (breaking the jar is analogous to pouring out our hearts to God and confess our sins) and for sure he will forgive you. That does not mean you keep on Sining but it means you don't have to. God says" I have loved you with an everlasting love "
So are you guilty? Have you done anything wrong which may have offended God or people around you? If so go and confess your mistake.
Stay blessed!
Love you !

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Omnipresent God

It was Sunday morning as I paced up through the corridor of my house ,holding my guitar and trying to keep my untied shoe lace from getting tangled. "How come I got up late! Why did I consent the nap to have my time." As I walked through the road, I started pondering on my behaviour. I mean how could I...its not about today...but from past few Sundays am allowing my sleep to have extra time and I end up being late at the church! Its my responsibility to lead the choir! When the pastor preaches the sermon ,I get distracted and start wandering in my thoughts and I don't even bother to shift my attention back! I resent this behaviour of mine! " I came from the church not as happy and satisfied as I would come back when I started knowing God deeply! I was going through a lot..i don't know what was wrong with me ! Was I missing someone? Huh... I started worrying when a drop of tear filled my eyes . And the fact is I did not know why was I crying. I ended up

MY POUNDING HEART

"It was magical! I could hear it beating, even in the cold. What was it that was stopping me from falling into the depths of death. My heart was still pounding." It was a mess! A total mess! if anything was too difficult to figure out definitely it would be my life. I was lost completely. After my breakup, I completely lost myself. It was my 2nd breakup this year.How could I be so wrong in making decisions? I had no sense of what I was doing. Mood certainly affects behaviour. I did not talk to my parents properly. I used to get angry at dad for silly reasons. I was becoming an introvert day by day.I did not know what to do. I started hating all the people around me. I blamed the people who had done this to me. I couldn’t trust anyone because all I was carrying was hatred. I used to speak less , sleep more, eat more junk foods and eventually would fall ill. No one saw what I had gone through , all that people could see is my change in behaviour  . My tears dried

The Melancholy in Her Smile

"The Joy which your arduous efforts yield, far outweighs the weight of the affliction you carried" "How well she knows me, ha ha," we both chuckled. It was yet another Friday night for me, suddenly I felt compelled to call my best friend ruth who was out of station for her studies. we have had a special bonding knowing each other all these years. we used to text each other every day and voice calling was sporadic. everything was unusual about that night. I had my exams the next day and I was busy searching her name on the contact list. "Hello" , I said to spark a conversation. she responded by saying "hi" in a hushed tone. seeking an answer to the unusuality I just encountered I asked her whether everything was alright or not. Assuringly she said yes.everything is fine. still unappeased I asked her about her health. She seemed to be whooping throughout the conversation. she kept on assuring me again and again. "hey wa