Skip to main content

The Melancholy in Her Smile

"The Joy which your arduous efforts yield, far outweighs the weight of the affliction you carried"

"How well she knows me, ha ha," we both chuckled.

It was yet another Friday night for me, suddenly I felt compelled to call my best friend ruth who was out of station for her studies. we have had a special bonding knowing each other all these years. we used to text each other every day and voice calling was sporadic. everything was unusual about that night. I had my exams the next day and I was busy searching her name on the contact list.
"Hello", I said to spark a conversation.
she responded by saying "hi" in a hushed tone.
seeking an answer to the unusuality I just encountered I asked her whether everything was alright or not.
Assuringly she said yes.everything is fine.
still unappeased I asked her about her health. She seemed to be whooping throughout the conversation. she kept on assuring me again and again.
"hey wait .. you sound so different. I bet something is wrong."
"you think too much paul, "she said!
I tittered as she spoke.
"Ruth, are you sad? " I asked her, spacing silence between my words to which she remained dormant and addled.
"if there's something, we can talk about it .you know that right?",I said expecting an answer.
I presumed she was missing her family.  it was only on weekends she used to go and meet her parents enduring the hefty travel to town. She was lonely deep inside.even the thought of staying away from family and friends for a long time is arduous.It was hardly seven to eight minutes we were on the call and our conversation did not lit up. I know she was depressed, she was not talking about anything which was contrary to her instincts.Just to prolong our conversation and boost her up I started making up things.
"Ruth!!! I have a gift for you....." I shrieked.
"oh, is it? ", she replied.
"yes, trust me, " I said.
"oh... where is it" she said chuckling.
"How well she knows me, haha," I said in my mind chuckling too.
We were so distant, still, I could see the melancholy in her smile.
I continued, even though she knew I was facetious about it and did not really have a gift for her.
"well....where are you right now?"
"I am in the balcony", she replied.
" what do you see in front of you?" I asked,
"its a car with its headlight flashing" she replied.
"well, now if you open up the boot of the car, you will find a small box in it,"I said.
Ruth now getting involved in the conversation asked inquisitively
"Oh.what next?  go on.. am listening ( translated in mind- I am listening to your nonsense hehe)"
I said,"there is another box inside it, and when you will open it you will find another box and then the final box which has a good gift packed just for you. I will tell you what's in the box at the end of our conversation"
to this, she replied, "hmm ok deal!"
right after that our conversation sparked up and we spoke over forty minutes.
after the span, she seemed great. She was well in her senses all set for a good nap. Just before I was going to cut the call she asked me what was in the box! ( still chuckling!)
I smiled and said, "the box had these forty minutes"

Well, sometimes our stupidest actions done for fun can turn out to be so productive.Joy is just one effort away! we all can make an effort to keep someone happy if we just want to.Keep encouraging everyone. Even I didn't know what was in the box until she asked me. I know GOD put that in my mind at that time.

 So if you don't know whether your efforts are doing any good or not, just keep on striving forward. God will put a word in your mouth at the end of the journey which will define your efforts.

Comments

  1. awesome story bro..
    the way you describe the situation
    the way you narrate it
    its ameazing
    i like it.

    ab books likhna suru kar de bro

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great work and dedication.. go ahead

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

My Omnipresent God

It was Sunday morning as I paced up through the corridor of my house ,holding my guitar and trying to keep my untied shoe lace from getting tangled. "How come I got up late! Why did I consent the nap to have my time." As I walked through the road, I started pondering on my behaviour. I mean how could I...its not about today...but from past few Sundays am allowing my sleep to have extra time and I end up being late at the church! Its my responsibility to lead the choir! When the pastor preaches the sermon ,I get distracted and start wandering in my thoughts and I don't even bother to shift my attention back! I resent this behaviour of mine! " I came from the church not as happy and satisfied as I would come back when I started knowing God deeply! I was going through a lot..i don't know what was wrong with me ! Was I missing someone? Huh... I started worrying when a drop of tear filled my eyes . And the fact is I did not know why was I crying. I ended up

MY POUNDING HEART

"It was magical! I could hear it beating, even in the cold. What was it that was stopping me from falling into the depths of death. My heart was still pounding." It was a mess! A total mess! if anything was too difficult to figure out definitely it would be my life. I was lost completely. After my breakup, I completely lost myself. It was my 2nd breakup this year.How could I be so wrong in making decisions? I had no sense of what I was doing. Mood certainly affects behaviour. I did not talk to my parents properly. I used to get angry at dad for silly reasons. I was becoming an introvert day by day.I did not know what to do. I started hating all the people around me. I blamed the people who had done this to me. I couldn’t trust anyone because all I was carrying was hatred. I used to speak less , sleep more, eat more junk foods and eventually would fall ill. No one saw what I had gone through , all that people could see is my change in behaviour  . My tears dried